sarita rising

I'm resuscitating this blog for several reasons. It's early May 2008, I've been out of college for a year, the Amanda Marcotta/BfP/Seal Press/WAM blogosphere explosion just happened, and I have a lot of thoughts to process. We'll see where it goes.

Monday, November 08, 2004

tree hugging hippies!!

sarah lawrence is ranked #3 on princeton review's list of Birkenstock-Wearing, Tree-Hugging, Clove-Smoking Vegetarians. maybe e-mails like this are why.

November 8, 2004
To: The College Community
From: Micheal Rengers [head of Operations and Facilities]

In August the college horticulturalist (Ani Adishian) told me about her concern that our signature tree, the large oak that is part of the flower bed on the south side of Westlands, was severely compromised and needed to come down. She had already consulted with the arborist who works with the college, who completely agreed with Ani. Since this is a major part of our campus, we engaged the services of Buddinghtree Consultancy to test the tree and give an opinion. After extensive testing, it was reported that there is a great deal of rot within the tree and strongly recommended that the tree be removed. The tree is so compromised that there is a risk of it falling or a limb falling - in either case a potential damage to humans and Westlands. The Physical Facilities Committee of the Board of Trustees has reviewed the reports and approved the removal of the tree. Weather permitting the tree will be removed during the Thanksgiving break.

[here's the part that got me:]

I know that there are generations of students, faculty and staff who have lived and worked near this magnificent oak tree and will be as sad as I am that it must be cut down. I hope that this notice will give you the time you need to say your goodbyes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have taken the time to say my goodbyes to Franklin-- I mean, that big tree with no name in front of Westlands. We had a good screw, a few tears, and one last (somewhat awkward) wave farewell-- wait, did you say tree-hugging or tree-humping?

1:08 PM  
Blogger beardedriffraff said...

I wonder if Micheal Rengers and Dick Cheney have ever hung out?

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...i so need to go to that school-jess

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home